NEWS WITHOUT BORDERS theSun ONWEDNESDAY | JUNE 20, 2018
Altantuya casemay be reopened
B R I E F S GIRL, 3, DIESAFTERBEING STABBED30TIMES KUALA LUMPUR: A man, believed to be mentally unsound and a drug addict, allegedly stabbed his three-year-old niece more than 30 times at their house in Taman Kepong here yesterday. The victim was pronounced dead upon arrival at the Desa Park City Hospital. She was stabbed with a sharp object. Sentul district police chief ACP R. Munusamy said the incident occurred at a double-storey terrace house in Taman Kepong on Monday when the 21-year-old suspect visited the victim’s family. JUVENILEAMONGFOUR ACCUSEDOFMURDER PETALING JAYA: A juvenile was among four accused for the murder of a car wash worker earlier this month, who were charged at the magistrate’s court yesterday. D. Pavidthren, 19, Mohamad Sharul Nizam Abdullah, 18, M. Viknesh, 19, and their friend who was a juvenile nodded when the charges were read out in front of magistrate Mabel S. Muttiah. No plea was recorded and as the case will be heard at the High Court. THREEKILLED INHEAD-ON COLLISION GUA MUSANG: A couple and their daughter were killed and four other people were injured in a head-on collision between two cars at Km55 of Jalan Gua Musang- Kuala Krai yesterday, according to the police. Gua Musang District Police chief Supt Mohd Taufik Maidin yesterday said IbrahimMat Rifin, 61, his wife Mahani Mohd Nasir, 58, and their daughter Rosinani, 35, died in the accident, which occurred at 5pm near the Kesedar Paloh 1 Land Development Scheme. JOBLESSMANJAILEDFOR STEALINGCANDIES KUALA LUMPUR: A jobless man with a sweet tooth was jailed three weeks by the magistrate’s court yesterday for stealing sweets and candy from a convenience store at Hospital Kuala Lumpur. Magistrate Wong Chai Sia imposed the sentence after Nor Zaidi Nong, 45, pleaded guilty to stealing 31 packets of lozenges and 41 packets of chocolates worth RM304 from Hospimart Shoppe Sdn Bhd.
BY G. SURACH AND RAJVINDER SINGH email@example.com PUTRAJAYA: The case involving the murder of Mongolian national Altantuya Shaariibuu (inset) could be reopened following the emergence of fresh evidence and re-opening of cold leads, said lawyer Ramkarpal Singh (pix) . Ramkarpal, who is acting as counsel for Altantuya’s father, Setev Shaariibuu, described yesterday’s meeting with Attorney-General Tommy Thomas as “a fruitful exchange”. “Themeeting went well where we discussed both civil and criminal cases in great detail. The AGwas very receptive in hearing our views,” he told reporters following themeeting at the Attorney- General’s Chambers. When asked how >Father hopes justice will be servedunder new government case will no longer be delayed. The focus, he said, was to determine the motive behind themodel’s murder 12 years ago, specificallywho ordered the killing. “The status of Sirul Azhar Umar and AzilahHadri remains the same and that they are convicted of themurder. “We did discuss about Sirul’s status (in Australia) andmeasures needed to extradite him. However, my stand is that there is no need for Sirul to be brought back due to other promising leads that can be taken into account,” he said. On the possibility of a Royal Commission of Inquiry, Ramkarpal said that would require the primeminister to soon the case could be re-opened, Ramkarpal said he was unable to provide a time-frame but expressed confidence that the
“I have waited for a long time but
now i hope justice will be served
AMIRUL SYAFIQMOHDDIN /THE SUN
– Setev Shaariibuu
meet the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to get his approval and the advice of the attorney- general before proceeding further. In an earlier press conference, Setev said the death of his daughter was like a cancer that had spread through his family and he hopes that the new federal government would be able to find the cure – to get to the truth of her murder. “I have waited for a long time but now I hope justice will be served,” Setev said, adding that he was very sad that his daughter never had the chance to see her children growup. He also called on themedia to be the voice of justice for Altantuya. “All this while a ‘black book’ had been written about the death of my daughter but today I hope a newbookwill start about her murder, a ‘white book’,” Setev said, describing howhe felt about his daughter’s murder. He also denied receiving any funds from former primeminister Datuk Seri
Najib Abdul Razak but was curious as to why he was being asked such a question. “I’ve heard these kind of rumours that Najib already paidmoney tome but it’s not true,” Setev saidwhile jesting that the funds seized by the government from Najib should go to his family. He added that what is most important to his family is to see justice being done. Altantuya, 28, was shot dead and her body blown upwithmilitary-grade plastic explosives outside Kuala Lumpur in October 2006. Sirul and Azilahwere convicted of her murder in 2009 and sentenced to hang. Theywere later releasedwhen an Appeals Court overturned the conviction in 2013 ruling that the High Court judge had erred. The Federal Court, however, upheld their death sentences in 2015. Sirul fled the country ahead of that ruling while Azilah is on death row.
ConcernoverM’sian troops inYemen
1killed, 41hurt inbus crash KUALA LUMPUR: At least one passenger was killedwhile 41 were injuredwhen an express bus crashed into a road divider and landed on its side and slid into a ditch at Km33.3 of the Kuala Lumpur-KarakHighway at 6.30pm yesterday. The bus, with 42 people on board including the driver, was heading to Kuala Lumpur when the accident occurred. A spokesman for the Selangor Fire and Rescue Department said another passenger was injured and two others were trapped in the bus. Gombak district deputy police chief Supt Tey Kong Seng confirmed the incident. Meanwhile, Selangor Fire and Rescue Department deputy director (operations)Mohd Rizal Buang said the department received a call on the accident at 6.34pm. “A team from the Bentong and Selayang fire stations was deployed to the scene. “The accident was believed to have happened after the bus crashed into a road divider before sliding into a ditch,” he said. At press time, the rescue operationwas ongoing.
KUALA LUMPUR: Local human rights group Lawyers for Liberty (LFL) yesterday expressed concern overMalaysia’s military involvement in the Saudi Arabia- led coalitionwar against Yemen, that started in 2015. Referring to the recent assault on the Yemeni port city of Hodeidah, LFLwants Defence MinisterMohamad Sabu to explain the presence of Malaysian troops in Riyadh and their involvement in the war. It also cited a report from the UnitedNations (UN) Panel of Experts on Yemen to the UN Security Council, that said the attacks “may amount towar crimes”, and that Malaysian military personnel were working alongside France, Britain and the United States at the coalition’s joint headquarters in Riyadh to coordinate the war against Houthi rebels and their allies. LFL director Eric Paulsen said under the previous administration of Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak, former Defenceminister Datuk Seri HishammuddinHussein had not responded to the UN’s concerns and downplayed anyMalaysian
involvement, declaring that Malaysian troops were deployed only to evacuateMalaysians fromYemen and for humanitarian purposes. “If it is true that our troops were deployed to assist evacuation efforts, then the work should have been done by now and there is no need to remain deployed for over three years. “The expectation that Malaysian troops will be required to carry out humanitarianwork is absurd as Malaysia is part of the Saudi-led coalition that is causing the war and humanitarian disaster, described as the world’s worst by the UN secretary-general,” he said in a statement yesterday. “Malaysia has a long-standing principle of non-interference in the affairs of other countries that has served us well. Unless mandated by the UNSecurity Council, Malaysia has no business being involved in the war in Yemen,” he said. LFL urgedMohamad to cease all military participation in the Yemen conflict and to recall the Malaysian troops stationed in Riyadh. – Bernama
Fire and Rescue Department personnel assisting passengers inside the bus after the incident.
Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter